Prof. (Dr.) Manju Chhugani started her journey as a midwife started way 25 years ago and since then I have been instrumental in uplifting the educative social status of midwives in India. She is a strong believer of initiation, determination and persistence. Her educational qualifications include MSc Nursing (Obstetrics and Gynaecology), MBA (Marketing), Post Graduate Diploma in Human Rights and PhD. She is the country contact of midwifery today and serve as the board member of Midwives Alliance of Asia (MAA). As a midwife, she brings insight across a cross section programme issues including implementation, communication and research related to Maternal and Child Health (MCH) and is a strong supporter of providing holistic midwifery care. She has contributed to the development of guidelines and handbooks in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MOHFW), Government of India. During the course of her career as a midwife, she has worked in a project in collaboration with UNICEF in two backward districts of Bihar, Gaya and Saharsa. The objective of this project was to strengthen the midwifery education in this areas and a model college was created and further, practical guidelines, lesson plans and educational materials were developed for teachers.
As a humble initiative for strengthening the skills of healthcare providers in rendering Maternal and Child Health Care (MCH), a National Skills Training Centre – Daksh, was established in Jamia Hamdard in collaboration with MOHFW and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM), United Kingdom. Prof. (Dr.) Manju Chhugani feels empowered as a midwife to be the Executive Member of White Ribbon Alliance of India (WRAI) which works for Safe Motherhood in India and also is the Board Member of Ipas which advocates for Safe and Comprehensive Abortion Care in India. She has made significant contributions in the development of skill based video films related to MCH in partnership with MOHFW and UNICEF. She campaigns for improvement of MCH for which she has been associated as the member of Education Standing Committee of International Confederation of Midwives, member of expert task force on evaluation of skilled birth attendants (SBA), member of Expert group for finalizing the BeMOC Training Modules of Govt. of India, member of WHO - IMPAC Guidelines steering group etc. She is one of the pioneer members in instigating the Society of Midwives of India (SOMI). This society took its feathers in 2000, and she held the position of Joint Secretary of SOMI at the national level and Secretary of Delhi Chapter. She is passionate about sharing my experiences in this journey as a midwife and the enthralling birth stories, for which she has organized workshops, educational programs and presented 53 papers at National and International level and have a wide range of publications. She is an advocate for the natural birth process and is an active supporter of midwives.
Prof. (Dr.) Manju Chhugani has a total of 40 publications, 6 chapters, 5 books, 15 guidelines under her umbrella. Presently she is working as Professor cum Principal at Rufaida College of Nursing, Jamia Hamdard, actively blending her knowledge and expertise in the field of midwifery by rendering quality midwifery education to students.
Awards and Accomplishments
1.Awarded Appreciation Certificate (2010-2011) for excellence in Academics on the occasion of 5th Rajiv Gandhi Pratibha Puruskar for Extra Ordinary Achievers by Sh. Sandeep Dikshit (MP, East Delhi) and Ch. Anil Kumar (MLA, Patparganj).
2. Letter of Appreciation from Dr. G.N. Qazi, Vice Chancellor for organizing and facilitating the workshop on ‘Evidence Based Nursing Practice- Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice’. Jamia Hamdard. 2012.
3. Honor for recognition of devotional services to the welfare activities for residents of Pocket C, Mayur Vihar, Phase II, by MLA Anil Chaudhary- 2013.
4. Certified as the Key Contributor and National Expert in writing the various documents and guidelines of Maternal Health Division by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. 2013.
5. Letter of appreciation from Medical Superintendent for Successful completion of MCI inspection at HAHC Hospital – 2014.
6. Country Contact – Midwifery Today.
7. International Midwife Award. The International Conference of Midwives. 30th Triennial Congress. Prague. Czech Republic. June 3, 2014.
8. Lifetime Achievement Award. (Clinical, Academic, Research, & Administrative Work during the Professional Period). Nominated by Delhi Nursing Council and selected by AIIMS. Multidisciplinary Healthcare Conference. AIIMS. November 6, 2016.
9. World Nursing Education Promotion Award. National Institute of Cleanliness Education and Research (NICER). World Cleanliness Day Celebration. December 12 – 13, 2016. New Delhi.
She has many miles to go for the achievement of safe motherhood in India.
She can be reached at email@example.com, +91-9818141401.